lady of perpetual help Forum Index
 Log inLog in 
Links
Our Parish
Mass Times and Services
Newsletter
History & Architecture
Sacraments
Children's Liturgy & Creche
Meditation Group
Women's Liturgy
Church Shop
Becoming a Catholic
Enquiries
CAFOD
Diocese of Westminster

Our Location

Our Lady of Perpetual Help is located on Stephendale Road.
The Parish House is located at 2 Tynemouth Street, SW6 2QT.
You can contact us on:
(020) 7736 4864
or by e-mail:
Stephendaleroad@rcdow.org.uk
 

History
In 1914 a local lady lost her son in action in the First World War. She bought the local rubbish tip and on it in 1922 built the church of Our Lady in his memory. She presented a silver cup to the first baby baptised here and a suite of furniture to the first couple married.
Since that time it has been the parish church for this part of Fulham.


Architecture
Our Lady’s church was designed by a Catholic Priest Fr Benedict Williamson.

It is a masterpiece of light and space. Its soaring classical columns and Romanesque arches give it a height and grandeur that make it look deceptively large.

The Egyptian details reflect the fascination of the time with all things Egyptian after the discovery of Tutankhamen’s tomb. The Stations of the Cross are magnificent. Each is a meditation in its own right.






 



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group